Monday January 09, 2012
You can grill the sandwiches in your oven on a cookie sheet, in a toaster oven, or this can be done in a skillet on the stove. I used a toaster oven. Serve with your favorite beer or a bowl of tomato soup, or both if you like!
Grilled gruyere cheese sandwich with caramelized onions and fresh rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons of sweet butter
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, discard stem
- 1 tablespoon of sherry (optional)
- 4 slices of peasant bread or your favorite crusty bread
- butter, softened to room temperature
- Gruyere cheese, cut into 1/8" slices (enough to cover the size of our sliced bread
- In a small skillet, over medium-high heat, add butter and onions and sauté until onions are translucent. Add rosemary. Lower heat and to low and sauté for about 15 minutes until onions start to brown.
- Add sherry, scraping all bits from the pan to the center. Sauté for a few more minutes and remove from heat
- Butter the outside slices of the bread with the soften butter (not too much, just skim the butter thinly on 1 side)
- Place aluminum foil on a flat cookie sheet or toaster oven pan. With the butter side down, place one slice of toast on the foil. Place slices of cheese overlapping on top of the bread. and top this with 1/2 of the caramelized onions.
- Place the top slice of bread on top of the sandwich, butter side up.
- Toast, grill or fry (in a dry pan over medium/low heat) until the bread is browned to your liking.
- Serve immediately