Sunday May 20, 2012
Enticing Iced Horchatas
As the summer days approach why not try something different? Iced Horchatas are a contemporary spin on a classic Mexican summer beverage. This delightfully refreshing version features rice and cinnamon, and is a great make-ahead drink for entertaining.
Iced Horchata (makes 6)
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Coffee-mate Natural Bliss Sweet Cream
- 4 ounces spiced rum (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon
- Combine water, rice and cinnamon sticks in large bowl; cool. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove cinnamon sticks. Spoon rice into food processor or blender (reserve soaking liquid); cover. Process on high for 3 to 4 minutes. Add reserved soaking liquid and sugar; process for 2 minutes. Strain mixture through a cheesecloth or fine sieve into a pitcher, pressing the rice solids until only a dry paste remains; discard paste.
- Stir Coffee-mate and rum into mixture.
- Serve over ice. Sprinkle with cinnamon.