Thursday March 03, 2011
Romantic Meal for Two, Chicken Marsala
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large or 4 small skinless chicken breasts, pounded to flatten 1/4" thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 lb mushrooms - white button, sliced or go for an exotic blend: baby bella, oyster and shiitake, sliced
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Marsala Wine
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- Garnish, fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a bowl mix flour, salt, pepper and oregano
- Coat each chicken breast
- Heat up large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, when hot, add chicken breasts and lightly brown on both sides. remove and set aside.
- In same skillet add olive oil and butter. When hot, add mushrooms and garlic and cook for about five minutes.
- Add Marsala wine and cook for about ten minutes to reduce the wine.
- Add lemon and sherry and blend well. Add chicken pieces to the skillet.
- Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts, cooking until chicken is done.
- Prepare the potatoes, rice or pasta - whichever you prefer (I opted for mashed potatoes)
- Place a cup of mashed potatoes just off center of the plate. With a spoon, push down the center. Pour a bit of the Marsala wine sauce in the well.
- Place 1-2 chicken breasts over 1/2 of the potatoes. Spoon a good portion of the mushrooms and saucer over the chicken and potatoes and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
Zabaglione with Berries
- 5 Egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 basket of mixed wild berries, cleaned