Wednesday November 04, 2009
roasted cauliflower soup with water chestnuts
- 2 heads cauliflower/ cut into 1" florets, about 10 cups
- 3 large garlic cloves, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, cut in half and quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup of celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tsp porcini mushroom powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp sweet butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely diced water chestnuts (1 small can)
- fresh chives
- cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut cauliflower into 1" florets
- In a large bowl, using your hands, mix together 4 cups of cauliflower, garlic, onion and 4 tbsp olive oil. Place on a tray and place in hot oven, roasting for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.
- While this is roasting, place butter in a dutch oven or 4 quart kettle, heat medium high. Add carrots, celery, Porcini mushroom powder and curry, stirring to blend together.
- Add chicken broth and water, stir.
- Add roasted vegetables to the pot when ready (reserve 6 -8 cauliflower florets for garnish), and Simmer of medium heat for 30 minutes
- Discard bay leaf and in a blender puree soup in batches until smooth, pouring pureed soup into a large bowl.
- Transfer puree soup back into the kettle. Simmer over medium heat stir for a few minutes.
- Add cream, salt and pepper to taste and stir until blended and warm, about 3 minutes.
- Place soup in a serving bowl.
- Garnish with cauliflower florets, water chestnuts and snipped fresh chives. Top with a dash of cayenne pepper that runs the length of the bowl. Be careful not to be heavy handed with this pepper--its very hot!