Monday September 07, 2009
avocado, grapefruit and seared shrimp salad
Avocado, Grapefruit and Seared Shrimp Salad
- 8-10 large shrimp, peeled and deveined. I prefer to keep the tails on
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup of Olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp dijion mustard
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 2-3 cups of mixed greens
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced lengthwise
- 1 small pink grapefruit, segments sliced with pith removed
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place a small to medium sized skillet over medium-high heat; add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the skillet is hot, add the shrimp, lightly shaking the pan to coat the shrimp with the olive oil. As the shrimp starts to lose its pink color, turning more opaque, about 2-3 minutes, flip the shrimp over to cook the other side. Add fresh squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon and a dash of salt. Shake pan to coat shrimp. After 2-3 minutes remove pan from heat.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, shallots, and Dijon mustard. Toss with greens. Be careful not to use too much dressing. Start by pouring 1/2 of the dressing and add more based on the amount of greens you are using and your preference.
- Placed greens on each plate, top with sliced avocados, grapefruit slices, and olives
- Top this with seared shrimp and serve immediately.