Thursday June 11, 2009
buffalo ribeye steak au poivre
Buffalo Ribeye Steak au Poivre
Recipe courtesy of D'Artagnan - Serves Two
- 4 Tbs. cracked black peppercorn
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 oz Armagnac
- 6.5 oz Duck and Veal Demi-Glace
- 2 Tbs.green peppercorn
- 2 Tbs. fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 6 oz heavy cream
- Regular salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F
- Use cracked peppercorns. If you have whole peppercorns, you can crack them by placing them in wax paper with all sides sealed/folded over. Use the flat side of a large knife blade and smack the peppercorns to crack.
- Season steaks on both sides with salt. Press the cracked black peppercorns into both sides of the steak. I use the flat side of large knife blade and hit the steaks to embed the peppercorns.
- Heat vegetable oil in oven-proof skillet over high-flame until smoking.
- Sear steaks until brown and crusted on both sides.
- Put skillet into oven, cook for 4 minutes until medium-rare.
- Remove steaks from skillet and reserve.
- Over medium-high heat deglaze skillet with Armagnac, add demi-glace and reduce by half.
- Add green peppercorns, heavy cream, tarragon and cook until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Remove skillet from heat, add steaks and any drippings. Coat the steaks with sauce.
- Serve with home-made french fries or your favorite potato recipes.