Thursday June 04, 2009
angry salmon with garlicky clams
Angry Salmon with Garlicky Clams & Macaroni
Recipe by David Burke (a leading pioneer in American cooking)
- 4 salmon filets; 6-8oz.
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder
- ½ cup loose packed Basil
- ½ cup olive oil
- 18-24 littleneck clams
- 6 cloves garlic
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- ¾ cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked macaroni
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- Red pepper flakes to table
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
- Extra Basil leaves
- Season salmon with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes & chili powder & chopped basil.
- Wrap in saran wrap, zip lock bag tightly. Place in dishwater and steam for 8-10 minutes or poach in water under a boil for 8-10 min
- After salmon is steaming, heat a skillet with the ½ cup olive oil. Add clams, garlic, lemon zest, tomatoes, pepper flakes. Add white wine, lemon juice, cover and steam until clams open.
- Add Macaroni, basil, butter (optional) and broth or water if needed
- Season with salt and pepper and more basil leaves.
Remove salmon from plastic. Place salmon on steamed spinach or green beans. Top each filet with approximately 5 clams, macaroni and some sauce, or in the case of this photo it appears the salmon is placed ontop of suggested vegetables or macaroni and topped with steam clams.