Friday May 22, 2009
valrhona chocolate bread pudding
Valrhona Chocolate Bread Pudding
6 to 8 servings
Recipe courtesy of Recchiuti Confections
- 1 ½ cups Valrhona Manjari chocolate, coarsely chopped.
- 6 cups day old bread, lightly toasted and cut into 1-inch cubes. Use a country loaf, Ciabatta, or French baguette
- 4 teaspoon butter, melted
- 7 extra-large eggs
- 5 extra-large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ? teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ ounce brandy
- 3 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split and scraped, preferably Tahitian
- Crème fraîche (for garnish)
- Burnt Caramel Sauce (for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Gently toss bread cubes and chocolate in melted butter and place in 2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Combine eggs through brandy and whisk together until incorporated. Set aside.
- Heat milk, cream and vanilla bean until scalding. Remove vanilla bean from the mixture.
- Pour about a quarter of the hot mixture into the egg mixture and gently stir to temper.
- Add remaining hot mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour egg/hot mixture over bread and chocolate.
- Bake in water bath for 20-30 minutes, being careful not to over-bake. The finished pudding will feel firm to the touch and a knife will come out clean.
- Spoon warm pudding into bowls and garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche and a drizzle of Burnt Caramel Sauce.