Wednesday April 22, 2009
Curry Shrimp and Scallops with Scallions & Fenugreek Leaves
Shrimps and Scallops with Scallions & Fenugreek Leaves
Recipe adapted by Camellia Penjabi recipe in 50 great curries of India
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion greens (the green stem)
- 2 level tablespoons fenugreek (methi) leaves, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons tumeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1lb scallops
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chopped scallions (green & white parts)
- 2 small green chiles, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp curry
- 3/4 x 1/2" piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (optional)
Soak the scallion greens and fenugreek leaves in a bowl of water with 1/4 tsp of salt added. Leave to soak for 15 minutes (This lessons the bitterness of the leaves). Drain, pat dry, set aside.
Mix 1/4 cup of water, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, the red chili powder, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Add the shrimps and scallops, covering them well with the mixture and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
In a deep skillet, the oil, and when hot, add the chopped white part of the scallions, the chiles, curry, garlic and ginger. Saute on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the scallions are translucent. Add the remaining turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of water and cook for another minute.
Add the cilantro, soaked scallion greens and fenugreek leaves and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Just before serving, add the shrimps and scallops, the remaining scallion greens, and saute with the soaked greens for 3 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add 1 cup of water, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the shrimp and scallops are cooked. Taste to check seasoning. Add a little lime juice if desired. Serve with rice or cous-cous