Saturday April 25, 2009
seductive strawberry gazpacho with jicama salad
- 6 lbs. Fresh California strawberries, stemmed and chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 9 cloves garlic
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 1 1/2 cups Sherry vinegar
- Salt and black pepper as needed.
- 8 cups Jicama, peeled and julienned
- 2 bunches chives, cut in 1 1/2-inch length
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper as needed.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh goat cheese
To make Strawberry Gazpacho, in blender, purée strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, jalapeños and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. yield: 24 cups
To make Jicama Salad, combine jicama, chives, oil and thyme; season with salt and pepper. yield: 8 cups
Plating the Dish
Mound 1/3 cup Jicama Salad in center of soup plate. Carefully ladle 1 cup Strawberry Gazpacho around salad; top with 1 ounce goat cheese, formed into a ball and garnish with a small sprig of thyme
Recipe courtesy of the California Strawberry Commission.