Thursday April 16, 2009
This variation of Beef Stroganoff is made with braised sirloin steak, mushrooms, leeks, egg noodles, a touch of red wine used for de-glazing, all held together with a light sour cream sauce.
Photo: © Terry Dagrosa 2009Beef Stronganoff
Recipe serves four
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz portabello mushrooms, sliced into chunks
- 12 oz button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 leek, thoroughly cleaned, sliced into1/4" rings
- 1/4 cup red wine to deglaze the pan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour for dredging
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- another 1/4 cup red wine for deglazing pan
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/8 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Pappardelle or Egg noodles
- Garnish Parsley
Prepare pasta per directions
- In a hot skillet melt butter and saute the mushrooms. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring often.
- When the water from the mushrooms dissolves, add a dash more olive oil or a bit of the beef stock.
- Add leeks. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until all liquid dissolved and mushrooms are browned.
- Remove mushrooms and leeks from the pan.
- Add 1/8 cup red wine to deglaze the skillet, scraping all bits to the center of the pan.
- Set skillet aside (we will use this to cook the rest of the meal)
- In a plate add flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Mix together using your hands.
- Dredge beef pieces in flour on all sides
- In a separate skillet, over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When hot, add the beef and brown on all sides (about 3 minutes per side). When browned, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup of red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping all bits to the center. Scrape this into the original mushroom skillet.
- Working with the mushroom skillet, turn up the heat to medium high.
the mushroom/leek mixture and the beef to the skillet
- Add 1 can of beef stock and 1/4 cup of sherry. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer, cooking for 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley. Stir in sour cream. Cook until heated through
- Place 3-4 parpadelle nests on a plate. Spoon mushroom/meat mixture over each nest.
- Garnish with parsley
- Serve with Red Wine