Friday August 15, 2008
fried cheese saganaki appetizer
courtesy of chef Michael Psilakis and CheeseEU
6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin Greek olive oil
8 oz Halloumi®, sliced into six 1⁄2-inch thick rectangles
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 1⁄2 tablespoons) plus 1 lemon, sliced
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 head frisée, trimmed and torn into pieces (about 2 cups)
1 cup arugula
1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick pan over moderate heat until hot.
- Add halloumi® and sauté until browned, about 45 seconds a side.
- Whisk together lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper to taste and remaining olive oil.
- Combine frisée, arugula and oregano, add 6 tablespoons of the dressing and toss well.
- Transfer halloumi® slices to salad plates, drizzle with the remaining dressing.
- Top each portion with a mound of salad and some lemon slices.