Monday July 28, 2008
baby arugula salad with halloumi croutons
baby arugula salad with Halloumi croutons in citrus olive oil vinaigrette
courtesy of Christine Cushing and CheeseEU
Makes 4 servings
5 oz package baby rocket (arugula), washed
5 oz Halloumi cheese cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ cup fine corn meal
2 tablespoon grape seed oil for frying
1 beet, thinly sliced on a mandolin and shallow fried until crisp.
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
Grated zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon vin cotto or balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash and dry the arugula and place in a medium bowl.
2. To make the dressing, combine the citrus juices and zests, mustard, vin cotto or balsamic with salt and pepper and whisk well. While whisking slowly pour in the oil and combine well. Set aside.
3. Dust the Halloumi cubes in fine corn meal, tossing gently in a bowl. Transfer to a plate and discard remaining corn meal.
4. In a medium skillet, heat grape seed oil over medium high temperature. Fry the Halloumi for about 5 minutes, turning often to get a dark golden crust.
5. Remove from heat and transfer back to plate.
6. Toss the greens with the vinaigrette and cheese gently to coat. Sprinkle with beet chips and serve immediately.